Home | Digital Fife | Text mode

Kelty In Past Times

Photographs of Kelty from days gone by.


The following photographs have been kindly submitted by the Kelty Heritage Group.Do you recognise anyone or are you in the picture?. If you can put names to faces please contact this website.

Click here to run a slide show or on any picture for an enlargement.

J Deas delivering the milk for Kelty Co-operative at Grievesland Terrace early 1900s J Deas delivering the milk for Kelty Co-operative at Grievesland Terrace early 1900s
Kelty Brass and Pipe bands and brass band majorettes at the miners gala Edinburgh may 1975 Kelty Brass and Pipe bands and brass band majorettes at the miners gala Edinburgh may 1975
Kelty Cross circa 1910 Kelty Cross circa 1910
Kelty Gala parade 1994 Kelty Gala parade 1994

The Royal Family at Kelty Cross passing Oakfield Church 1940s

3 Kelty Clippies waving to the Royal Family

Teachers and pupils from Kelty School gathered at Kelty Cross to see the Royal Family pass through the village. 1940s. Do You recognise yourself.

The Kelty Goth Picture House before being sold and taken over by the Swallow Raincoat Factory then finally being demolished and housing erected (at Kelty Cross)
Kelty Police Station 1900 Kelty Police Station 1900
The former Police Station at Kelty was first occupied in December 1900 by one constable and was built at a cost of £686-7-2d. It consisted of two dwellings, an office and two cells. The population at this time was 3,500. Two years later the population rose to 5,325 and a third constable was appointed. At its peak the Kelty station was staffed by one sergeant and 7 constables. It remained in use until 1969 when it was sold to a local coal merchant.

Gordon Brown M.P. at the launch of the Heritage Group book Welcome to The Independent Republic of Kelty in the forefront the Kelty Clippy statue now in place in the Library

In the early thirties Alexanders of Falkirk built a new bus garage at Oakfield Street. At its peak around 1965 they employed some 250 staff and had 50 buses in operation. The garage closed in 1979. Staff were transferred to Cowdenbeath.
Some staff at the Kelty Bus Garage 1950’s Some staff at the Kelty Bus Garage 1950’s
Back Row William Wise, Melville Cummings, Andrew Buchan (drivers) Front Row Charles Buist (inspector), John Stevenson (superintendent), Thomas Adger

6. Kelty and Blairadam Pipe Band under Pipe Major J Buist leaving the village to participate in the Scottish World Festival in Toronto, Canada in August 1972

In 1974 Kelty Co-op Society held a function in the Co-op hall to celebrate their centenary. Guests attending were Patrick Kelly president of the Co-op board and Mr W Bisset director of CWS. The entertainment was provided by singers Peter Morrison and Helen McArthur. Mr William Hamilton MP gave the vote of thanks. This picture shows Co-op staff under the watchful eye of Jack Wishart and Wullie Gray.
The Kelty Clippie The Kelty Clippie
Paper mache Kelty Clippie modelled on Barbara Dickson who sang with John Watt and his group in her early years. This likeness was sculptured by Jan Miller and can be seen in the Kelty Library.
A 'Kelty Clippie' Reunion? A 'Kelty Clippie' Reunion?
Back row L to R Mary Walls, Janet Thomson, Joyce Kerr, Sandra Easton Front row Margaret Fernie, Doreen Hutton and Irene Hutton
Kelty Co-operative bakery van, Gala day 1950 Kelty Co-operative bakery van, Gala day 1950
Kelty Co-operative milk deliveries 1964 Kelty Co-operative milk deliveries 1964
The Kelty Heritage Trail The Kelty Heritage Trail
A group of Kelty Heritage members walking the Heritage Trail in Blairadam Forest
The Ash Cart The Ash Cart
The ash cart going along Croftangry Road. This was how the ash from the coal fires was collected by Fife Council.
Kelty Main Street Kelty Main Street
Kelty Main Street in the 1970's. "Joe the barber's" is behind the bus stop
Trinity Hall and the Manse Trinity Hall and the Manse
Trinity Hall and the Manse of the Kelty North Church which was situated on Mossgreen Street
The Miners' Memorial Statue The Miners' Memorial Statue
1997 Kelty Miners Memorial unveiled by Mick McGahey and Gordon Brown M.P.
  
Log in WebSpringer maintenance Variables